Now the University of Memphis Lambuth Campus, this institution has been an important factor in higher education in West Tennessee ever since its 1843 founding as the Methodist church’s Memphis Conference Female Institute. In the early 1920s the school was renamed for an early supporter and became a coeducational college. In 1991 it was renamed Lambuth University, but hard times followed and declining revenues and enrollment led to eventual bankruptcy and a takeover by the University of Memphis, which intends to increase enrollment and maintain some of the facilities as a satellite campus in Jackson.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ABBYY FineReader 8.0
Possible copyright status
University of Memphis. Materials in this collection are made available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use. Images and text may not be used for any commercial purpose without the prior written agreement of the University of Memphis.